Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The Blessing of "Catholic Guilt"


One of the things that had me lost in Protestantism is the vast differences of interpretations not only from denomination to denomination, but from church to church, from person to person.  I can't tell you how many times I had said out loud and in prayer, "I wish there was a rule book so I knew what exactly I should do and shouldn't do!"

Protestants insist that God isn't that restrictive, or it's in the Bible, or the Holy Spirit will tell me.  Then, I encountered so many people who believed that what I felt was sin was not sin at all!  When I said as much I was told, "well, that's just your conviction or interpretation.  If you feel it is a sin and commit it, then it is a sin.  But, if you don't feel it is a sin and the Bible isn't clear on it, then it isn't a sin."  WHAT!?  Surely, sin is sin no matter who does it or how they feel about it!  I do agree that there are some gray areas, areas that fall into conviction, such as wearing only long dresses or completely abstaining from alcohol.  But, the idea that our sin is up to our personal interpretation did not settle with me.

On top of that I was confused as to what a holy life looked like.  With no liturgy, order, and so much left to personal interpretation I was lost.  How do I know if my life is pleasing to God or an offending odor?!  A little leaven leavens the whole lump.  How do I know if I have some leaven?  What good is the Holy Spirit telling me if what He says to one personal isn't the same as to another?  How can He tell me that sodomy in marriage is sin, but tell another that anything in the marriage bed is permissible, including sodomizing your wife?  We're not talking about the difference between finger widths of necklines here!

There HAS to be an authority on this, I thought.  The Bible does seem to leave some up to interpretation, so what did the original church practice and preach?  How did they answer these burning questions and cultural differences?

Oh wait...that removes sola scriptura!

And then I find a Catechism.  Bliss!!  My rule book!!  My questions answered!  Authority before the Lord Jesus Christ HAS established exactly what I am looking for!  I don't find it restrictive.  I find it freeing!!

And oh, the Catholic guilt!  That beautiful Catholic guilt!  I can see plain as day what is right and wrong, where I am lacking and improving, where I am holy and receiving blessings, and where I am unholy and receiving my due consequences.  I find I desire confession.  I desire an ordered life.  I desire liturgy.  No more questioning.  No more arguing.  No more confusion.  No more one-woman show where anyone and everyone can argue against my beliefs.  I can point over to the Catechism and up to Heaven and around to my Priest and all the way across the ocean to the Pope.  I have back up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sola Scriptura, Literal Translationalist, KJV Only oopsie

 John 14:2a In my Father's house there are many mansions. This was a prime verse for memorization for us young evangelicals. I remember ...